Bugs are more common in the summer, and it can be difficult to keep them out of your house. Whether it’s mosquitos, flies, or ants, bugs seem to find their way into our homes during the summer months. This can be both a nuisance and a health hazard as they can carry diseases and cause damage to our homes. In this article, we’ll discuss different DIY methods on how to keep bugs out of house in summer.
Identify Common Bugs in the Summer
Before discussing how to keep bugs out of house in summer, it’s important to understand summer bugs. The following are a few of the most frequent pests that invade our homes in the summer:
- Mosquitos: Attracted to standing water and open trash cans
- Flies: Attracted to standing water and open trash cans
- Ants: Attracted to food crumbs and spill
- Roaches: Attracted to food crumbs and spills
- Spiders: Tend to seek shelter in dark and undisturbed areas of the home
Identifying common pests and learning how to keep bugs out of house in summer can help you keep your home pest-free. Different pests have different behaviors and habits. So, knowing what you’re dealing with can help you determine the most effective control methods.
DIY Methods to Keep Bugs Out of the House
Bugs can be a real pain in the summer, but you don’t have to put up with them. You can use various DIY methods if you have the patience and time. Here are some effective DIY methods for how to keep bugs out of house in summer:
Seal Entry Points
The first step to keeping bugs out of your home is to seal off any potential entry points. Bugs can enter through even the smallest cracks, gaps, or holes. So, it’s important to inspect your home for any openings. Use the following methods to seal gaps around doors, windows, utility pipes, and vents:
- Caulk: A flexible material that can seal gaps around windows, doors, and utility pipes. It can be applied with a caulk gun and smoothed with a finger or a tool.
- Weather-stripping: Thin weather-stripping can be applied around doors and windows. This creates a tight seal to prevent bugs from entering your home. It can be made of foam, vinyl, or rubber and is easy to install.
- Mesh screens: An effective way to seal off entry points. You can install screens on windows and doors. This will prevent bugs from entering your home. But it will still allow fresh air to circulate.
Keep Your House Clean
A clean home is less attractive to bugs, so it’s important to keep your home tidy and clean. Use the following methods to keep your home clean:
- Vacuum and sweep floors. Regularly clean floors to remove food crumbs and other debris that attract bugs.
- Wipe down countertops and tables. Clean surfaces with a disinfectant to remove any food residue that may attract bugs.
- Take out the garbage. Dispose of trash in a sealed container. Take it out regularly to prevent the accumulation of food waste.
Use Natural Remedies
You can use many natural remedies to repel bugs from your home. Here are some effective methods to repel bugs using natural remedies:
- Essential oils: Peppermint oil, lavender, and citrus fruits repel bugs naturally. Fill a spray bottle with some water and add a few drops of essential oil. Then, spray entry points, windows, and other bug entry points. Also, add some essential oil to your cleaning products for extra bug-fighting power.
- Plants: You can also grow mint, basil, and lemongrass near entry points to repel bugs. These plants have natural oils that deter bugs and can be a decorative addition to your home.
- Diatomaceous earth: Another natural remedy is diatomaceous earth. It is a fine powder that can be sprinkled around entry points and in other areas where bugs are present. The powder absorbs the oils and moisture from the bugs, effectively killing them.
Using traps is one of the most efficient ways to learn how to keep bugs out of your house in summer. Traps can catch and kill insects without chemicals. Here are a few efficient ways to catch bugs with traps:
- Sticky traps use a sticky surface to catch bugs. These traps are commonly used for catching flies, mosquitoes, and other flying insects.
- Flypapers use a sticky surface to catch flies. These traps are commonly used in areas where flies are present. Such areas include kitchens and garbage areas.
- Electric zappers use an electric shock to kill bugs. These traps are commonly used for catching flies, mosquitoes, and other flying insects.
- Homemade traps: You can also make your traps using household items. For example, a jar with a mixture of vinegar and dish soap can be used to trap fruit flies.
Repair Moisture Problems
Moisture problems such as leaky pipes or damp basements can attract bugs. Here are some effective ways to repair moisture problems and reduce the likelihood of a pest infestation:
- Fix any leaks or moisture issues in your house, such as dripping faucets or leaking pipes. This will prevent water from accumulating and attracting bugs.
- Clean gutters regularly to prevent water from accumulating. This will lessen the chance of water leaking into your house. Also, clogged gutters can lead to moisture problems and attract bugs.
- Repair any leaks to prevent water from seeping into your home. This will help prevent moisture problems. It will also reduce the likelihood of a pest infestation.
By using these DIY methods, you can keep your home free from bugs without the need for harsh chemicals or professional exterminators. These natural remedies are effective and safe for both you and the environment.
When to Hire Professional Pest Control
DIY bug-repelling methods can work, but a professional pest control service is sometimes better. There are many factors to consider when determining the best way on how to keep bugs out of house in summer. Here are some indicators that you may need to hire a professional:
The Infestation is Severe
If you have a severe pest infestation in your home, DIY methods may not be enough. Professional pest control services can quickly and effectively eliminate severe infestations.
You Can’t Identify the Pest
If you can’t identify the type of pest in your home, it’s best to hire a professional. Different pests need different treatments, and misidentification can lead to ineffective solutions.
The Pests Are Dangerous
Some pests can be dangerous to your health or cause damage to your home, such as termites. A professional pest control service can safely and effectively identify and treat these pests.
You’ve Tried DIY Methods Without Success
If you’ve tried DIY methods without success, it’s time to call in a professional. A professional pest control service can identify the root of the problem and provide a customized treatment plan.
Do You Want Ongoing Prevention?
Professional pest control services not only get rid of pests, but they also keep them from coming back. They can find places where pests could get in, do regular maintenance, and give advice on how to stop future infestations.
You’re Experiencing Allergic Reactions or Illness
Call a professional if pests are causing allergies or illness in you or a family member. Some pests can cause allergic reactions or health issues, especially for asthmatics.
You Want to Use Green Pest Control Methods
If you want to use environmentally friendly pest control methods, a professional pest control service can help. They can provide natural and organic pest control solutions that are safe for you and the environment.
Benefits of Pest Control
Professional pest control has advantages over DIY methods for bug control. Furthermore, understanding their habitat and behavior is essential to know how to keep bugs out of your house in the summer. Fortunately, professionals in pest control are trained to carry out this task. Here are some of the benefits of professional pest control:
Pest control professionals can identify and treat specific types of bugs. They have the knowledge and expertise to locate and eliminate pests effectively. Additionally, pest control professionals can locate and seal entry points that DIY methods may miss. This will prevent bugs from entering your home and reduce the likelihood of a pest infestation.
Professional pest control can provide ongoing preventive maintenance to keep your home pest-free. They can provide routine inspections and treatments to prevent future infestations. Lastly, services for pest control can aid in preventing pest-related damage to your home. For instance, if termites are not treated, they can seriously harm your home’s structure. A professional pest control service can find and get rid of termite infestations before they do a lot of damage.
Keep Your Home Bug-Free During the Summer Months
Keeping bugs out of the house in summer ensures a healthy and safe living environment. Bugs can be a nuisance and can carry diseases, causing harm to you and your family. Nevertheless, remember that prevention is key in keeping your home bug-free during summer. By taking the appropriate steps, you can enjoy a pest-free summer and ensure a healthy living environment for you and your loved ones.